Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Mercury Retrograde?

This is a favorite video for many engineering students, the Tacoma Narrow Bridge AKA Galloping Girdie. This is what happens when engineers neglect to consider the harmonics of the wind and the bridge. The phenomena is called aeroelastic flutter. Yet another way, I have been told over and over to consider and balance the forces.

Since the characteristic issues of the retrograde involve travel and communication issues and therefore "AIR", I wonder if this incident happened during Mercury Retrograde?


4 comments:

Monsignor Scott Rassbach said...

As a matter of fact, Mercury was retrograde on Nov. 7, 1940, when the bridge finally collapsed.

http://www.astropro.com/features/tables/geo/me-sta/me-sta26.html

SR means Station Retrograde, and SD means Station Direct. Mercury started it's retrograde motion on Nov. 1, 1940, and returned to direct on Nov. 21, 1940.

Scott Stenwick said...

Yup! Mercury was retrograde in Scorpio on November 7th, 1940.

http://www.findyourfate.com/astrology/ephemeris/1940.html

PhoenixAngel said...

Thanks Fraters!!! I KNEW IT!!! :)

Anonymous said...

That's awesome, I never thought that could have been during Mercury Retrograde, I'm highly amused now. Thanks!