Monday, December 6, 2010

Storytelling

My friend, Gynwyt Siarad, had a birthday this weekend and so did my little girl. It seems like Sagittariuses have become a very important part of my life. Another good friend has her birthday this week too.

My previous post was on a story of an ungrateful tiger and a foolish traveler. I had the pleasure of telling this story to both my dear friend and my little girl. I tried my best to incorporate some references to my studies. I place great importance on the oral tradition and storytelling since it has been the means for passing on our traditions for eons. Besides, as a mommy, its kinda my job! Kids, and adults for that matter, are spoon-fed artistic interpretations, which I believe can kill the imagination if not balanced with personal expression and interpretation. What I am finding is that a magician needs a good imagination. Besides, nothing like snuggling up with a good book and your child. It's some of the best magick that I have ever experienced. Before TV, the cinema and video games, people used to share their traditions and their values in the guise of a good oral story. It's something that connects us to our ancestors.

My other thoughts this week are on teachers and mentors. I have been blessed with several, some formally and others informally. In my mind, I have privately named this person or that person as a personal teacher, whether they know it or not. I know for certain, that some will be short-lived. Others try to provide me with all sorts of advice and my bullshit meter quickly goes into the red zone

No comments: