Sunday, March 6, 2011

What I Expect From An Adept

There have been several posts on a recent controversial issue in the ceremonial magick community. I follow them, take heed, file it away in my memory and then promptly let it go.

I am in a very unique position, in the magickal blogosphere, in that, I can quietly observe and take note. The recent controversy does not effect my work, negatively. I can learn from it because I am removed from it. I don't know who those people are. What I have taken from the hushed or very public discussions is what I can expect from an adept.

What I have noted is that adepts and in general, people who are truly working the Path do not need to play politics. They quietly do their Work, bottom line. Perfection, does not however, appear to be a prerequisite for an adept. They also lead mundane lives, have issues and struggle through life, just like the rest of us. Life does not occur in a vacuum. They have EGOS because after helping so many people with issues, one tends to be a little more than confident about the efficacy. I mean, really?, would you want an airplane pilot flying your plane across the US, who does not have alot of confidence in their abilities?

There are a couple of other things I have noted about true adepts:

They are not RICH men, as far as material wealth goes. Their resources lie in their loyalties from other people. They basically have spent many years building their magick, not their entrepreneurial, and the last time I checked you cannot order a side of esotericism with your double cheeseburger and you cannot buy your spirituality at the same time you get your laundry detergent and a dozen eggs. Their life's work cannot be sold and charged to Visa, because it truly is priceless. Some however, do sell their services but also seem to have daytime jobs too.

They are not socially retarded. Although I am not an adept, it appears to me that a true adept can relate to many different people. My guess at this is they speak a universal language, one that transcends all boundaries. They can provide a metaphor about baseball or cross-linked hydrocarbons and still convey the same basic meaning. I understand the cross linked hydrocarbon metaphor...but the baseball thing is a little harder to grasp for me.

They do not have to go out of their way to be badasses. I guess when you deal with enough goetic demons, it just follows that you will not have a problem in a darkened alleyway on the bad side of town.

They will allow you to discover things yourself and within your own context. They do not ever give you textbook definitions. If you have a personal issue that needs to be resolved they give you totally subjective answers that convey "yes", "no", and "maybe" all at the same time. This is the most irritating thing but at the same time very empowering.

And finally, they are not the best at getting back to you immediately and especially when you feel like your life is falling apart. In fact, they never seem to be around when it happens. But things always seem to work out. Was it from divine intervention set into motion by the adept. No, I think that the adept is cognizant of the fact that he cannot bring about powers into the student that isn't already there.

No comments: